This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Temporary Registration

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice.  You will need to register as a temporary patient.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.

pdfDownload the Temporary Resident Registration Form


If you are offered an appointment at Bridport Medical Centre, you will need to register as a temporary resident at least one hour prior to your appointment in order to give us time to log your details onto our computer system.

Have you forgotten to bring enough of your regular medicines with you on holiday?

Take prompt action as soon as you realise - do not leave it until it becomes urgent. If you are away from home and need your usual medication, approach a pharmacist (chemist) for help.

Contact your UK GP and ask if they can fax a prescription to a nearby pharmacy (check with the pharmacist first).


If your GP Surgery is signed up to electronic prescribing, they will be able to send a prescription to the pharmacy of your choice via EPS.

If GP surgeries are closed and you have proof of the medicines normally prescribed to you, the pharmacist may be able to make an Emergency Supply.  Emergency supply is a private service, and you will be asked to pay for the medicines supplied.


See our guide below for a list of pharmacies in Bridport.

Choose well

Choose_well   Choose the right NHS service for your needs.

Not sure where to get the right treatment for your symptoms?  View this document: Choose well-Dorset (for guidance only)

Remember to use the right NHS service for your needs - 999 and A&E are for serious emergencies and life threatening conditions only.

Call 111 if you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency.



Guide to Local Services

Read our guide to local services: Pharmacies, Minor Injuries Unit, Walk-in Centre and A&E.

Guide to Local Services


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website